03 April 2010

My Secret Service

So, I've been doing some community service work, aka secretservice, and I spend my Mondays-Wednesday-Fridays and if I feel like it Tuesdays-Thursdays in the Senior Services in downtown Elgin.

When I first found out where I'm going, I'm like, "What am I gonna do?" I was kinda nervous because I've never done any volunteer work before. But when I got there, my initial reaction was, it wasn't that bad. I mean, granted that my first day was on my birthday and they asked me to clean the washrooms.. oh well. But as time pass by (I've gone five days already) I am beginning to LOVE it!!

I had my apprehension at first because the first time I've been around old people was when I worked as a receptionist at the Manor Care nursing home in Elgin. It was so disheartening to see old people walking around in canes and walkers and wheelchairs, some with oxygen tanks even. I don't know. The whole environment felt helpless, sad, and honestly, I couldn't stand it. I read somewhere that caring hurts. And it's true. And since working at the Senior Services, I realized something. it only hurts when you feel like you can't do anything. That caring isn't enough, but there's just no other way to help out.

And so far, I've had a blast working at the Senior Services. Aside from the occasional washroom cleaning, I "report" to Minnie, who is a Filipino lady who works there. I'm not sure what her actual job title and job description is but mainly she's in charge of activities, entertainment, etc.

I've torn down decorations, cleaned washrooms, mopped floors, washed dishes, pushed tables, carried chairs, decorated for Easter, helped out at bingo, fetched coffee for the old people, transported bread from the van to the stage, inflated balloons by hand, helped throw an end of the month birthday party, made food for 120 people (ham, drinks, salads, appetizers, etc.), and helped out at an Easter party. And that's just in the five days I've been there.

It may not be a lot, but I'm falling in love with the place, and the seniors too! They are the sweetest things ever! They appreciate the little things that I do for them, like letting them help put candies inside Easter eggs, getting them their coffee, helping them carry their stuff, or even just engaging them in a conversation. They're like little kids in a way, just with more wisdom and experience.

At the end of of all, we just want someone to pay attention to us at the end of the day.

No comments: