03 January 2011

The Family That Eats Together..

    Every Sunday, as far back as I can remember (and by that I mean it started summer of '09) my friends and I have been getting together at Dee's and Owen's house for dinner. Our barkada (tagalog word that means a group of close friends, and similarly like the tv show Friends; relationship) gets together and shares what we call Sunday Family Dinner. We crowd around Dee's breakfast table (there's seven of us) and tell stories about our crazy weeks, shares jokes and funny anecdotes, vents and rants about our bad days over homecooked meal.
    We've gone from all seven of us to sometimes just three, or just whoever can make it. I can honestly say that I've never missed a dinner night.. and we've only had to cancel maybe one or two times. We've had taco night, fajita night, soul food night, korean barbeque-style, grills, etc. etc. We've shared Thanksgiving meals and Easter dinners, birthday dinners, breakup dinners, come what may. There were days when the boys would be working out while the girls make dinner, our boys come home to home cooked meals and we'd wait until everyone's there before we grab our plates and attack.
    There's the occasional eat-out nights (from sundays to any days of the week) at teppan places, sushi places, buffets, chinese restaurants, tapas, etc. But Sunday Family Dinners are always the best. There'd be desserts sometimes, we'd play cards after we've cleared the tables, or watch a movie while laying down or sitting comfortably, digesting our heavy meals. When no one has anything important going on the next day, we'd even have the occasional social drinking hour after dinner.. and by that I mean jello shots, sake bombs, car bombs, scooby schapps, and whatever else our resident bartender can cook up with the liquor stash that we have.
    There'd be the occasional drama and conflicts and fights. But I gotta say, I'm the happiest when all seven of us are gathered around the table.. with our stories and rants and raves and jokes.
     I really cherish Sunday Family Dinners. Seven people, seven lives. But during Sundays, I feel like I'm part of a family. I love you guys!!

No comments: