30 March 2011

Thriving Under Pressure

    I had to run an errand in the city and since I'm not a very good city driver, and I figured I should do something I've never done before, I decided to take public transportation to the city. I parked my car at the trains station that's less than a mile from my apartment (I should've walked but it was raining and I didn't have an umbrella). En route to the city, I was pretty content with the book I brought and the music in my iPod.
     I ended up taking the long way because parts of the streets were under construction. I got to the place nonetheless only to find out that I was in the wrong establishment. Good thing the ladies at the building were kind enough to direct me to the right direction. Lesson Learned: When they say Blue Line, it doesn't mean the bus. It means the subway. Me=Idiot. But I didn't let that deter me, because I try to learn something new everyday.
    I got to the right building, did what I had to do and left the building.. only to find out that I had walked the opposite direction of the train station! I ended up on Michigan Avenue, and thinking I was lost, I phoned a friend (no, really I did). But by the time I got on the phone with her, I saw the Art Institute and found my way. I was actually tempted to go in but I need to catch the train and go to the post office to send the paperworks I got.
    I made sure I was back at the Union Station with plenty of time to grab something to eat. And before you know it, I was already 
back on the train and on my way back home in the suburbs. Side note: My leg cramped up while I was on the train and I had to make sure my face and body language didn't give that away because it might make me feel like a newbie. All that one day of walking downtown and I cramp up on the way home.. Sheesh!
    All this time that I was making my way to, around, and back to the city made me feel really good about myself. I had a specific itinerary but I was thrown off the loop. That obstacle didn't stop me from composing myself, regrouping, taking a deep breath and figuring something out. My little city adventure showed me that I can get through small or big things alike. I wasn't fazed, I didn't panic, I didn't let the hustle and bustle of downtown Chicago eat me whole. This may sound mushy, but the city made something out of me that day. I feel a little more confident in myself knowing that I get get past any hurdle thrown my way.. because little did I know that I can be a bad-ass like that.

No comments: